Re: When spoofing is.

2004-03-21 05:24:10

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:22:35PM -0800, Mark C. Langston wrote:

Solving problems by creating problems for others won't aid our efforts.
Particularly when it seems that the problems have been created to
address unspoken motives.

You have seen no problems so there are no problems ?  Sure...

That's not what I said.  I said that sniping at legitimate services
under the guise of attacking spammers isn't likely to win friends and
influence people.  We should be conservative in what we break.

I don't think that sites such as those postcard sites are legitimate
services.  They are spoofing addresses, sending unsollicited email and
are very irresponsible when it comes down to handling errors.  They
make no effort at all to verify the initiating side is valid, nor do
they care if the receiving side is able to take their mail.

"... that the problems have been created ..." makes me feel personally
attacked; you are telling me I am seeing problems that are not real.
And you've repeated that.

I am not here to combat spam.  I am here to combat email fraud. Spam
is just one of many forms of fraud.

Alex