Re: Choice of SMTP headers

2004-03-22 10:17:21

"Mark C. Langston" <mark(_at_)bitshift(_dot_)org> wrote:
It's not just hotel rooms, either.  It's hotel rooms, coffee houses,
client sites, airports, trains, and various other locations, using a
variety of connection methods, including POTS, cellular dial-up,
cellular data, packet radio, 802.11b/g, and various flavors of tethered
broadband.  Each has its own ideosyncratic method of handling outbound
email, from blocking it, to transparent proxying, to allowing anything
through.

  And why aren't they using the technologies designed specifically to
address the "roaming user" issue?

  We can't solve marketing/political solutions through technical
means.  People have political/emotional reasons for their current
email behaviour, and the existence of an equivalent technology to
implement their intentions is irrelevant.  They won't use it until
forced to.

  I'm not saying the "IETF" should force anyone to do anthing, but it
should design protocols to allow recipients to discover
non-accountable senders, so that those recipients can choose to not
accept non-accountable messages.  Eventually, roaming users will
discover that certain technologies won't get their messages through,
and they will switch to technologies which work.

  Alan DeKok.