Re: Choice of SMTP headers

2004-03-22 22:17:49

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 02:33:40PM -0500, Alan DeKok wrote:

  They upgrade laptops regularly.  So there's already an existing
model for deploying software upgrades.  Wait 2-3 years, and deployment
will have reached the majority of users.

--"Mark C. Langston" <mark(_at_)bitshift(_dot_)org> wrote:
...and for those people that must wait a year, or two, or three, before
email is functional again?  When a service that many view as
fundamental, such as email, stops functioningi as deployed, trickling
out a fix isn't seen as an appropriate response.

There are individual organizations in which that trickle-out could take
two to three years.

For that reason, it'd be better to come up with a recommendation whose
impact is largely, or completely, server-side, and transparent to the
client and end-users.

I'm a little confused by the "argumenty" nature of this conversation, and I get the feeling there is an important point that both of you are trying to get across that I'm not getting.

I *think* I agree with both of you, if I understand you both correctly. I think that we would all agree that the forgery problem is serious enough that we should start acting immediately if not sooner. However, I think that any RFC will take multiple years to reach significant adoption. If someone's spam problem is bad enough that his email is non-functional now, this working group will not ride to his rescue anytime soon.