Re: Choice of SMTP headers

2004-03-23 09:08:13

Greg Connor <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org> wrote:
I'm a little confused by the "argumenty" nature of this conversation, and I
get the feeling there is an important point that both of you are trying to
get across that I'm not getting.

  Much conversation involves *not* stating assumptions.  When people
have different assumptions, miscommunication ensues.

I *think* I agree with both of you, if I understand you both correctly.  I
think that we would all agree that the forgery problem is serious enough
that we should start acting immediately if not sooner.  However, I think
that any RFC will take multiple years to reach significant adoption.

  Yes.  So we can start now.

If someone's spam problem is bad enough that his email is
non-functional now, this working group will not ride to his rescue
anytime soon.

  My email system has been close to non-functional for 5 years, due to
the volume of spam.  No one believed me, and no one believed that it
would happen to them.

  Millions of delivered spams a day.  That's the future we're fighting
against.  If anyone disagrees, they can ask me to point my MX to them...

  Alan DeKok.