Re: CSV (Crocker's draft) good! (evaluation, big suggestion)

2004-05-03 20:58:49

Greg Connor wrote:

--Philip Miller <millenix(_at_)zemos(_dot_)net> wrote:

Alan DeKok wrote:

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

The thing I don't understand about HELO schemes is what they buy that we
would not get from simply requiring senders to give a domain name that
correctly resolves to the ip address of the sender sever.

  A little more flexibility.

Additionally, specifying first a scheme for validating HELO allows easy
extensibility to other 'identities'. In SPF syntax, the record used to
mean "any MTA that can call itself example.com can send with MAIL FROM:
*(_at_)example(_dot_)com" could simply be "v=spf1 helo".

I'm not sure what this paragraph means. If you're trying to validate whether a HELO name is OK for that MTA to use or not, that's a different matter from tying HELO name to MAIL FROM authorization.

I'm saying the following:
1. It would be good to validate HELO names.
2. Validating HELO can allow some conveniences in validating MAIL FROM.
I think the best example of this would be a company, example.com, that outsources some bulk messaging to another provider, example.net. Each would list their own servers as authorized to claim HELO in that domain. For MAIL FROM, example.com would authorize any server that can claim HELO in example.com or example.net. Clearer?

Personally, I approve of checking the HELO name against its domain, and then validating the MAIL FROM against its (possibly different) domain and not to try and relate the two. In other words, I don't like the idea of validating the HELO name and then trying to "extend" or "infer" some other authorization by it. I think any proposal to "extend" HELO protection to other data points can be written more simply without relying on the HELO part. HELO checking is cool, but I don't accept the premise that it's a stepping stone to other validations.

HELO checking is neither necessary nor sufficient for other validations.
It's simply a nice feature that could make some situations much easier to handle.

SPF already provides (optional) protection against other people using your domain as a HELO name, in addition to the normal MAIL FROM protection. You don't need a helo keyword.

The HELO keyword was intended to mean (hypothetically, not necessarily in the way SPF works) "servers that can claim to be members of this domain can send mail from this domain". I probably shouldn't have used SPF as an example, because it does indeed confuse what I was suggesting.

It's also normal for your MTAs to have their own SPF records (like mail1.example.com) in addition to the record you have for your main domain (like example.com).

What purpose do such records serve? Are they only really used when dealing with MAIL FROM: <>?

This provides some separation of accountability for the MTA itself vs.
the messages transmitted through it. Perhaps major ISPs, e.g. AOL, would
want to protect themselves from random MTAs claiming to be AOL systems,
but not want to immediately stop their users (and others, of course) from
using MAIL FROM jrandomusername(_at_)aol(_dot_)com(_dot_)

This is, I think, a useful gradation.

Hmm, how to specify that a certain name may not be used as HELO but can be used in other contexts? I think there's a way to do that using the %{l} (localpart) macro... When checking HELO names the localpart becomes "postmaster", so if you limit who can send from postmaster(_at_)aol(_dot_)com it will keep people from using that as a HELO name as well (even if other localparts are unrestricted)

The SPF-syntax example I provided was purely illustrative. Perhaps it would have been clearer if I used to outsourced provider example? All I was saying was that if we choose to validate HELO, being able to reference said validation for other parts can be useful.

Philip Miller