Re: CSV (Crocker's draft) good! (evaluation, big suggestion)

2004-05-05 03:50:05

Tony Finch writes:
"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:
Mailing lists are very rarely members of a forwarding relationship. If they are it is because the list has moved and there is a very clear and explicit understanding of the forwarding relationship.

This is incorrect. In the University of Cambridge we have hundreds of virtual mail domains (i.e. alias files) which provide departments etc. with their own email presence.

I expect that the University of Cambridge staff have have a clear and explicit understanding of the aliases involved. Right?

I expect setups like this will be common in other academic sites, and probably large organizations in general. Surely there are ISPs out there providing similar email services to ours?

I know one. They generate all the alias files with cron job from a database. That database has _all_ the information relevant to forwarding relationships.

Arnt