Re: CSV (Crocker's draft) good! (evaluation, big suggestion)

2004-05-07 04:26:20

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Matthew Elvey wrote:
On 5/6/2004 10:34 AM, Tony Finch sent forth electrons to convey:

AFAICT NBB is just
"check addresses at SMTP time as RFC 1123 suggests".

Please quote where RFC 1123 suggests this.

      5.2.7  RCPT Command: RFC-821 Section 4.1.1

         The receiver-SMTP MAY verify RCPT parameters as they arrive;

The problem with this argument is that CSV lacks the early adopter
self-interest motivation of SPF: preventing joe-jobs.

SPF doesn't prevent joe-jobs until people start using it to reject
email.

If I publish a '-all' in my SPF record, isn't that going to stop
joe-jobs from every server implementing SPF?

Yes, but that's approximately zero for early adopters.

Is there actual data on how many of the nearly 14,000 claimed entries
publish -all?

I was referring to SPF checks, not SPF publication, when I said
"approximately zero".

--
Tony Finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/