RE: CSV (Crocker's draft) good! (evaluation, big suggestion)

2004-05-05 07:05:52

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

Mailing lists are very rarely members of a forwarding relationship.
If they are it is because the list has moved and there is a very
clear and explicit understanding of the forwarding relationship.

This is incorrect. In the University of Cambridge we have hundreds of
virtual mail domains (i.e. alias files) which provide departments etc.
with their own email presence. These typically contain a load
of personal
aliases which forward to our top-level domain, and some group aliases
which forward to a mailing list.

e.g. tony(_dot_)finch(_at_)ucs(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk ->
fanf2(_at_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk -> ...
     mail-support(_at_)ucs(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk ->
cs-mail-support(_at_)lists(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk

I expect setups like this will be common in other academic sites, and
probably large organizations in general. Surely there are
ISPs out there providing similar email services to ours?

In which case all the forwarding relationships are completely understood
or understandable by the mailing list admins.

One would expect that in this case you would have MARID authentication
on all *.cam.ac.uk mail servers and that you would then configure the
MARID authentication schemes to consider all mail forwarded from a
*.cam.ac.uk mail server to have been pre-authenticated.

The forwarding relationships that cause problems for CallerID and MARID
schemes are those that occur before the incomming edge server. In the
example you give I would regard ucs.cam.ac.uk to be the edge server and
*.cam.ac.uk to be in this respect non-edge servers that trust ucs to
do its job properly.

                Phill