RE: CSV (Crocker's draft) good! (evaluation, big suggestion)

2004-05-03 08:48:41

That anti-M$ screed forgery proved a point rather well:  No proposal
with an I-D listed in the charter would have completely prevented the
forgery from making it to the list.

I don't think that is true.

Mailing lists are very rarely members of a forwarding relationship.
If they are it is because the list has moved and there is a very
clear and explicit understanding of the forwarding relationship.

This being the case I don't see why a mailing list should not
reject all mail that fails Caller-ID checks. The test to see if the
email is forwarded becomes very simple.

Mailing lists are a special case for mail administrators. Today
they require a huge amount of admin effort to keep them spam-free.
I think it is very likely that this will be the place where RFC 822
checking takes place first because the benefits are so clear.

                Phill