Re: my working definition of 2821.mail-from

2004-05-12 02:45:51

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Bill McQuillan wrote:

Pobox.com proposes to deal with this outbound e-mail case by allowing me to
use its SMTP submission service, but my ISP blocks outbound port 25. In
that case pobox.com instructs me to use port 26 with SMTP AUTH.

I note that RFC 2476 specifies port 587 for this purpose. There's also the
(historical, deprecated) port 465 for SMTPS (i.e. SMTP using TLS-on-
connect rather than STARTTLS) which is still needed in practice to support
MUAs that refuse to use STARTTLS on ports other than 25.

--
Tony Finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/