Re: A 30% solution

2004-05-11 14:17:12

On 5/11/04 at 1:57 PM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:

When an SMTP server receives mail that purports to be from some domain (currently as determined from the domain name appearing in the MAIL FROM command in SMTP)

RFC2821.MailFrom does not assert from-ness. It is a directive saying where to send transfer handling reports.

You will note that I did not say "from *a user in* some domain" or "from *an e-mail address in* some domain". I said "from some domain". If you would like to avoid the confusion, perhaps you would prefer "of some domain" or "associated with some domain".

You will find the words "senders from that domain" twice in the Overview. You may also substitute "senders of that domain" or "senders in that domain" or "senders associated with that domain" if that makes things clearer.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102