Re: A 30% solution

2004-05-11 13:57:42

Pete,

PR> When an SMTP server receives mail that purports to be from some
PR> domain (currently as determined from the domain name appearing in the
PR> MAIL FROM command in SMTP), that receiver will request MARID records

  RFC2821.MailFrom does not assert from-ness.  It is a directive saying
  where to send transfer handling reports.

  It is set by the RFC2822.Sender.

  A very large amount of the current confusion seems to come from
  exactly this disparity in protocol semantics, so it would be worth
  getting explicit agreement about this point.

  If the working group has rough consensus that MailFrom in fact
  specifies from-ness, then we need to clarify the common situations in
  which that field has a value substantially different from RFC2822.From
  and RFC2822.Sender.

  In any event, we need to establish a very explicit working group rough
  consensus about the semantics of RFC2821.MailFrom, given its
  fundamental role in working group discussions.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>