Re: Reuse of TXT : draft-ymbk-dns-choices-00.txt

2004-05-18 17:23:21

In general it would be nice to have a record for dns that simply says that
there exists records of for this service "name" and points to where it
is. Kind of like universal SRV CNAME which at the same time can be used
in wildcards to specify actual record and where this kind of record
can co-exist with similar other records like it for the same record. In
that case the full long record of what it is can be specified in the
specific subtree where as quick record that it exists is added to main
record as part of wildcard (or not). In reality what I'm talking about is
very much like SRV records in its structure, just used slightly different
way, to give an example with this kind of imaginery "CNSRV" record:

*.mydomain.com. IN  CNSRV  1 1 1 marid marid1.mydomain.com.
marid1.mydomain.com. IN ...

And yes, I do realize this results in one exta dns lookup before getting
the "marid" record we may have wanted and we may end up with large number
of such record pointers for some zones, but I think it would not be that
bad considering by the time it is seriously used, size of dns packets
would be larger. But anycase, this is probably wrong group to propose
something like this ...

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks