Re: Use of TXT is rather conclusively a good idea.

2004-05-18 17:17:59

On 5/18/2004 6:14 PM, Matthew Elvey wrote:

Amazing. You are so blinded (blindered?) you failed to notice the last
example from the RFC:

What I said is "Your example omits the TXT target, which is the point."
(where the "." in your example is shorthand for "I'm closing my eyes to
other uses for TXT").

Reusing TXT is bad engineering. It's fine for design and experimentation
but when the time comes this group will need to optimize an RR format
which is capable of coexisting with other RR and data at the same domain
name without triggering perpetual overflow in response messages (note that
coexistence may include, NS, MX, or any number of other RRs, including
TXT, depending on the naming syntax and sister applications).