Re: Alternative to TXT or new RR

2004-06-15 15:32:33

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 10:52:38PM -0700, Matthew Elvey wrote:

| MARID is likely gonna use TXT; there's no alternative, the sky will not
| fall, and the issues are not dealbreakers.

You know, it's interesting to consider what we'd be doing
now if TXT had never existed in the first place.  The
arguments for a new RRtype would be much more compelling,
but we'd still look for workarounds that didn't need a new
RRtype.

I'm guessing an SRV lookup against DOMAIN.COM with a
reserved port number would return a domain name, something
like MARID-RECORD.DOMAIN.COM, and then something like

  http://marid-record.domain.com/marid-record.txt
  http://marid-record.domain.com/marid-record.xml

Or maybe instead of an SRV lookup, we'd do an MX query
against an underscore subdomain ...