Re: Forging (was Re: Differences between CSV and Sender-ID )

2004-07-07 13:39:15

In <1313037133(_dot_)20040704141557(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> Dave Crocker
<dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> writes:

Get rid of forging and you will not reduce spamming at all.

I have no idea how you could prove a statement like this true or
false.

I've heard it said that DNSBLs have not reduced spamming at all and
that if it wasn't for DNSBLs email would be unusable today.  Barring
the creation of alternate universes where DNSBLs didn't exist, no one
will really know if either of these claims is true.

Certainly spam, like other forms of theft, will never completely go
away.  Spam, like other forms of theft, requires many different tools,
including defensive measures, identification/accreditation, and legal
actions.

Nothing proposed on this WG is going to stop spam.  I find it amusing
that Alan and Dave are discussing such issues and Alan hasn't even
pointed out that even doing ICMP port unreachable responses to SMTP
connections won't stop spammers.  See: http://www.striker.ottawa.on.ca/

If even as an immediate and absolute response as an ICMP port
unreachable won't stop spammers from attempting to send spam to
striker, such things as SPF, Sender-ID, CSV, MTAmark, etc. don't have
a chance.

-wayne