RE: the focus of MARID

2004-07-08 12:54:32

In the future, if MARID is a success, I can see *maybe* applying a
whitelist of trusted forwarders, and if the forwarder (or
list robot) is
trusted, using the previous-hop info that they recorded.
But, this is a
long-term stretch goal.  MARID-brand LMAP has value in/of
itself even if we
never take this second step.

One point I forgot.

Even if all MARID does is to make life easier for mailing list
admins it is a start. Serious amounts of spam get sent at
mailing lists. If you restrict posting to members only there
is no real need to moderate every post provided that you can
authenticate the sender. All you need to do is to put new
users on probationary status.

The fact that most mailing lists are getting moderated
indicates to me that there is a serious amount of forgery
using mailing list archives to seed the from addresses.

        Phill