RE: the focus of MARID

2004-07-08 07:24:29

I still fail to see how the identities matter.

All we are doing here is listing the IP addresses of our outgoing
mail servers.

I can be absolutely certain that is all we are doing since that is
all that we will be telling the network admins to do.

The consequence of that is that by applying our knowledge of how the
infrastructure works we can make some deductions.

The SUBMITTER spec means that we can extend the scope of those
deductions further to include RFC 2812.

The forwarding problem means that we can only ever validate the last
link in the chain and that as a result it is only ever possible
to know with certainty that a message is genuine, it is not possible
using the information from Sender-ID ALONE to know that a message is
defnitively fake if it purports to be forwarded.

I think that what we should be doing at this point is discussing
how to express the set of IP addresses. That is the part that has
the impact on what other people do.

The main complaint I and many others have of SPF is that it has
much too much flexibility. Even if you accept the need for
factored records, the macro language is far more powerful than
is necessary for that purpose.

        Phill