Re: Unencumbered Checking (was Re: DEPLOY: SPF/Sender ID support in Courier)

2004-08-31 08:45:34

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:04:37AM -0700, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. wrote:
We simply _don't_ know what is in the claim.  In any other area where
adoption of some program is to be impacted or encumbered in some way
which could cause either a legal liability or an inability to actually
implement on the part of the adopter - particularly such a potentially
widely used program - it is inconceivable that people would be even
considering adopting, or recommending, the program.  In fact, if one
had a professional license, and recommended adoption of such a program
without a clear understanding of the encumberance, one could be guilty
of malpractice.

IANAL and not even a native english speaker. What really puzzles me is
the term "perpetual" in the license and the meaning. My dictionary has
some possibilities like
    eternal
but also
    for an unlimited period
The first would be not too big a problem, the second would be an immense
problem as MS could in one year from now terminate the existing license
contracts and formulate a new one with a fee, right?

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299