Re: DEPLOY: IPR [was Re: TECH: use fetchmail algorithm to select header address to verify]

2004-09-08 11:11:41

wayne wrote:
Also, in <413E3531(_dot_)7010906(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com> Yakov Shafranovich
<research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com> writes:

Then according to RFC 3668 we can safely ignore the IPR claims is
irrelevant and frivilous like it has been done before with IDN and
IPSec. Or can we?

Both Margaret and Yakov suggest that "we" can ignore the MS patent.
There is clearly a risk involved for those who do, but apparently both
feel that the risk is pretty small.

I specifically left it as an open question. I was purely speculating.

Would those of you who suggest ignoring the patent please also
volunteer to pay for any and all costs associated with a (potential)
lawsuit from MS for not using their license?

If the risks are really as small as you two suggest, surely this
wouldn't be a problem for you to do.  If you are not willing to pay
such costs, why are you suggesting that people like me who write and
distribute software that would violate the patent take that risk?

I was suggesting no such thing. Rather, as IETF's history has shown it has been done before without detriment, and I was simply asking whether it is a viable option. In any case, given the chairs' statement on consensus this is irrelevant. We will not be able to reach consensus with the IPR issues anyway.

Yakov