Re: areas of spec incomplete? (Re: Question and note)

1998-06-29 20:24:09
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Adam Back wrote:

Would you like to kick off with a list of still outstanding problems?

In some offline discussions, moving ambiguous things to an
ID N - Reserved for whatever
type form is good.

The X9.42 DH, EC, and ECDSA should be moved to reserved.

TIGER should be reserved until we agree on how to handle it - it is too
wide for DSA, and doesn't have an OID, but I would like to keep the
algorithm ID fixed.

HAVAL can be used with DSA, but has no OID, so I am neutral.

DSA can theoretically be used with MD2, MD5 and RIPEMD160, but I suggest
prefixing zero octets if the hash size is less than 160.  (Another
alternative is to mask out the upper bits which can be made random).

I am the only one AFAIK to implement SAFER/SK-128.  This can be left as
assigned or moved back to reserved if anyone is unsure that I did things
right.

DES/SK was supposed to have a reference implementation available by now,
but I have seen no news on the list and haven't been paying attention to
what is going on with AES.  If it isn't implemented yet, this should back
up to a reserved algorithm ID.

We should add "7 -Reserved for AES" since that will eventually exist.

I am open to reserving IDs for other algorithms.

The CFB when blocksize is not 8 is still a problem, but less so since no
assigned algorithms I know of use anything other than 8.

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---