Re: [openpgp] rfc3880bis - hard expiration time

2015-04-27 17:29:22
On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> wrote:

FWIW: I have no real preference pro or contra a hard expiration time.

I have not seen anyone in favour of a hard expiration time explain
what it is designed to prevent / enable. I think the new standard
should have a real prejudice in favour of excluding anything unless
there is a clear justification.  It could be that I've just missed
something, but I don't think that standard has been reached here yet.

What does a hard expiration time technically achieve that a soft
expiration time does not.

If the answer is encouraging the user to behave in a particular way,
that should be enforced / encouraged through other means.  I see no
security advantage at all.  As I say, I may be missing something.