RE: SOAP and OCP

2003-04-22 06:39:21
see inline
abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Rousskov [mailto:rousskov(_at_)measurement-factory(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 12:18 AM
To: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: SOAP and OCP

SNIP

Great! Given the above agreement, I would suggest that OCP we
work on right now is _not_ implemented on top of SOAP because:

  1a. SOAP does not deal well with opaque data exchange
  1b. efficient opaque data exchange is the primary goal of our OCP

  2.  SOAP strength (current deployment) can still be used whenever
    appropriate by OPES processors that support SOAP and either
    adapt SOAP-friendly data only or do not care about performance
    on binary data

agree

Instead, I would suggest that the WG encourages Abbie to
write a "how to use SOAP as an OPES callout protocol" draft,
supplying OPES implementors with an explicit OCP alternative.
All WG documents (including those documenting tracing and
bypass mechanisms) will have to make sure that no specific
callout protocol is assumed in a general OPES context.

Any objections or further comments?

Thank you,

Alex.

I am ok with that. I hope that it could become a working item for the WG and
I will move on it once OCP/tracing drafts matures.

Abbie