Re: SOAP and OCP

2003-04-22 08:51:35

Abbie Barbir wrote:

        1. SOAP is not a transport protocol. Would you
           require a specific transport protocol to
           be used if OCP is implemented using SOAP?
           For example, would you require that BEEP/TCP and
           only BEEP/TCP is used under SOAP?

Yes, but there are bindings defined for SOAP (like HTTP, BEEP ?).
No we will not require specific bindings. We have agreed that this OCP draft
basically define metadata/state machine for OCP and that bindings will be defined later. IF
we use SOAP, then SOAP can have its own bindings. This way we define
SOAP/OCP and then SOAP over ... can be defined by anyone else.

I'm not convinced that this would be an attractive option, since it opens up again the issue of interoperability. I bet we'll see vendors implementing "OCP over SOAP over A" and other vendors implementing "OCP over SOAP over B", thus not being able to interoperate.

We already see this happening in the SIP area, where some vendors only implement SIP over TCP, and others only SIP over SCTP - whether this is "allowed" by the standards or not...