Re: SOAP and OCP

2003-04-22 10:37:18

Alex Rousskov wrote:

Whether the above is truly an interoperability problem depends on
whether a "TCP vendor" actually wants to interoperate with the "SCTP
vendor". I do not know whether OCP really needs multiple transport
protocols, but I can imagine a situation where a certain callout
server supports only one transport (out of several available) and
causes no interoperability problems because it supports the only
transport that makes sense for its kind of services.

I agree in theory, but fact is that this complicates interworking in real life. Some services won't clearly dicted a specific transport, i.e. some services can potentially be run on top of different transports. If you now have vendors with different preferences, only supporting their prefered transport (for whatever reason), these vendors simply won't be able to interwork with each other - that's an interoprtability problem.

I agree - I also don't yet know whether OCP needs multiple transport protocols. But this should *not* make us conlcude that there definitely will be multiple such bindings and design the system/protocol accordingly. Maybe on transport binding is sufficient, and we would end up with a clearer picture?