Re: SOAP and OCP

2003-04-22 09:15:29

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Markus Hofmann wrote:

I'm not convinced that this would be an attractive option, since it
opens up again the issue of interoperability. I bet we'll see
vendors implementing "OCP over SOAP over A" and other vendors
implementing "OCP over SOAP over B", thus not being able to
interoperate.

We already see this happening in the SIP area, where some vendors
only implement SIP over TCP, and others only SIP over SCTP - whether
this is "allowed" by the standards or not...

Whether the above is truly an interoperability problem depends on
whether a "TCP vendor" actually wants to interoperate with the "SCTP
vendor". I do not know whether OCP really needs multiple transport
protocols, but I can imagine a situation where a certain callout
server supports only one transport (out of several available) and
causes no interoperability problems because it supports the only
transport that makes sense for its kind of services.