Re: More on KEKIdentifiers, and a suggested addition to CMS

1999-03-12 07:54:31
All,

I believe that this proposal leads to non-interoperable S/MIME
implementations, so I oppose it.  If the originator chooses a kext syntax
that the recipient's software does not understand, then the recipient will
not be able to decrypt the EnvelopedData content.  I believe that the CMS
RecipientInfo syntax should not be changed until it is proven that it does
not meet a valid requirement ("valid" as defined by consensus of the S/MIME
WG).  If that occurs, then we should consider adding a well-defined syntax
as a ReceipientInfo CHOICE (not a wild card).

John Pawling,  Director - Systems Engineering
J.G. Van Dyke & Associates, Inc., a Wang Global Company