Re: More on KEKIdentifiers, and a suggested addition to CMS

1999-03-16 10:43:43
At 05:22 PM 3/13/99 -0500, Russ Housley wrote:
All:

I agree with Paul Hoffman.  We should proceed with CMS so that the S/MIME
v3 set of documents can become Proposed Standards.  Using the list, we can
discuss the best way to handle password-based key management.  We can do as
many Internet-Drafts as necessary to sort this out.  Once we reach
concensus, we can add the that technique to CMS when the document
progresses from Proposed Standard to Draft Standard.

I have a question about this.  Are you producing a document with a known
deficiency that you intend to correct later in the standards process?  It
appears to me that making the change that has been suggested using the
extension mechanism after it has been released as PS would likely cause CMS
to move backwards in the standards process, and not forwards.  Thus, the
whole process would be substantially delayed.  You're better off correcting
the problem now with the "..." or extension mechanism or whatever as part
of WG last call, and moving on rather than attempting to correct it later,
and then being shifted back in the standardization process...

Bruce
Bruce Greenblatt
bgreenblatt(_at_)directory-applications(_dot_)com
http://www.directory-applications.com