Re: SMTP Extensions - proper peply code for disabled commands

2004-01-12 22:50:19

Just to close this loop, the omission of 502 from the valid code list for EHLO was intentional. Specifically, Lyndon is correct: 2821 requires ("MUST") that EHLO be supported. If you are not going to support it, then you are either operating in 821-land, in which EHLO is an unrecognized command, or you need the reply code for "my implementation is broken".

As Lyndon says, 2821 doesn't specify the details of ways to violate the standard. Consequently, it hence doesn't specify a value for the "my implementation is broken" code. If you need one, I'd suggest, e.g., "999", which would cause almost all clients to stop talking to your server. :-(

 regards,
   john

p.s. Your server seems to not like Reverse-paths that contain plus signs, or otherwise has problems "verifying addresses" with which other systems seem to have no difficulty. Might be worth trying to fix if you expect to participate in IETF discussions, since a number of folks around here use addresses of that type.