Re: SMTP Extensions - proper peply code for disabled commands

2004-01-11 20:16:44

Arnt and Lyndon

You are both right.  Thanks for your input on this.    I guess the engineer
who implemented Extended SMTP features needed to make it an OPTION since it
was something "new" for customers.  So using the 500 response code was
correct in this regard.  I screwed it up by changing it to 502.

Anyway thanks for both your input.

http://www.santronics.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lyndon Nerenberg" <lyndon(_at_)orthanc(_dot_)ca>
To: "Hector Santos" <winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com>;
"IETF-SMTP"
<ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: SMTP Extensions - proper peply code for disabled commands

What is the proper response code for a system which supports EHLO but
for some reason or another the sysop has it turned off (disabled)?

If you don't support EHLO then 2821 no longer applies, and so you have
to follow 821 where EHLO is an unrecognized command, thus the correct
response is 500.

But why disable EHLO? If there are specific services you don't want to
support, don't advertise them in the EHLO response. By accepting the
EHLO you'll avoid the extra round-trips incurred by the fallback to
HELO.

--lyndon