[Top] [All Lists]

Re: Submission and SMTP SRV records

2004-03-16 17:09:43

The problem scope is variant. None of the technologies address every
problem of every installation. The SRV approach is intended to solve the
common problems that 90% of the market faces.

which market is that? email users in general? web-based email providers that need internal configuration solution? corporate internal networks?

I'm happy to help work on similar solutions that use other technologies,
as parallel development efforts.

well, the last thing we need is more competing ways to do configuration. autoconfiguration is supposed to simplify things, but it often ends up making them more complex.

that's why the "90% argument" is dubious. if the other 10% would have to configure things manually, and the solution works for everyone else, that's great. but if you have three autoconfiguration solutions that each work with a different large percentage of the market, you end up with a real mess.