Re: deferred RCPT responses

2004-03-27 18:13:20

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 6:28 PM
Subject: deferred RCPT responses

Rejecting mail during the session (as opposed to off-line, afte the mail
has been accepted) is very useful, in that it prevents the creation of
false bounces, pushes the queuing problem back to the spammers, scammers
and worm-riders, and so forth.

There is a problem with this approach, however, which is that some
messaging systems and/or networks have different policies for different
recipients -- different users have different thresholds or requirements.

Sorry, I don't see any problem with a system level determine rejection at
this level.  As long as it is appropriate, and flexible for the sysadm to
define response codes for his or her user database/mail policies.

On average, we knock off 25-35% of our transaction simply because the user
did not exist or did not have email access.

http://www.santronics.com