RE: deferred RCPT responses

2004-03-28 13:38:06

I have twenty years experience with a messaging protocol that deals well with
these situations.  The protocol was designed for very slow, expensive, and very
unreliable links, and deals with hundreds of recipients per message, each of
which can be accepted or rejected individually based on message content and
policy.... DSN equivalents are very expensive in it's operating environment.

The protocol sends recipients envelope until a sucesful recipient is accepted,
then the message contents, and then a series of additional envelopes that
essentially say "copy the message to this recipient also".

This good operational experience suggests to me an extension to SMTP, a new
verb to follow the data command.  Lets call it ALSO TO.

The advantage of a single sucessful recipient first ensures that the
transmission is done for at least one likely recipient.  You could extend the
DATA response code to cover additional non-envelope failure reasons, but a
failure for most cases, and all policy cases after DATA would not preclude ALSO
TO additional recipients.

So an interesting flow would be as follows:

Mail FROM Greg(_at_)me(_dot_)com
200 OK
RCPT To Beth(_at_)example(_dot_)com
500 on leave of absensce.