Re: deferred RCPT responses

2004-03-28 20:12:17

On 3/28/2004 7:44 PM, Claus Assmann wrote:

(send RCPTs after data)

Why should my system waste the bandwidth if all recipients are
unknown? On one of my machines 99.9% of the mails are for invalid
recipients.

Ya, that's a problem. A related problem is with spamtrap addresses that
don't get matched until after. It also requires an end-of-data sequence
(something like a (RCPT TO:<>"), which means more work. But after all of
that, it's still the simplest approach since it keeps state management
fairly simple.

The other approaches require the envelope-exchange state to bridge across
the data-exchange state, which is not trivial.