Re: deferred RCPT responses

2004-03-27 18:27:49

On 3/27/2004 7:11 PM, Hector Santos wrote:

From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com> Sent: Saturday, March 27,
2004
6:28 PM

There is a problem with this approach, however, which is that some
messaging systems and/or networks have different policies for
different recipients -- different users have different thresholds or
requirements.

Sorry, I don't see any problem with a system level determine rejection
at this level.  As long as it is appropriate, and flexible for the
sysadm to define response codes for his or her user database/mail
policies.

I'm specifically referring to scenarios where:

 1) the envelope loop identifies multiple recipients
 2) the recipients are valid and would normally return 250
 3) each recipient has different policies for the message body

The envelope exchange loop currently only deals with 1 and 2.

The data transfer logic currently only applies to the transfer process,
and not to the delivery process.

So... there's no way to say "I'll accept the message for this user, but
not for that user" after the envelope loop has completed.