Re: Site policy vs. HELO

2005-03-08 10:11:07

Hector,

I'm not going to try for a complete response here; much too busy this week...

        * Any time I answer a question on this list about 2821
        and what it says, I'm answering in terms of my
        understanding, as editor, of what is in that document
        and what the WG wanted.  There are things in it that I
        don't like, but the document is as close to instructions
        from the WG as I could make it.   If I'm answering in
        terms of personal opinions about that spec, I'll be
        pretty clear about it.

        * In principle, it wouldn't be hard to produce an
        applicability statement document that changed 2821's
        conformance rules to ban legacy (821-only)
        implementations.  In practice, if the IETF were to
        consider such a thing, I'd predict a lot of controversy
        and either a "no" decision or a standard that was widely
        ignored: while you might make a rational site decision
        to reject HELO, I can't imagine any sane implementer of
        a commercial implementation removing the backward
        compatibility.

If you want to pursue the above, _write a draft_, then contact the applications ADs and discuss a WG charter. Ranting on this mailing list is fairly useless, whether you are right or wrong.

   john