Re: pseudo LAST CALL - draft-crocker-email-arch-04.txt

2005-03-31 10:53:11

 | In particular, can a Recipient's MUA automatically formulate | a
 valid Reply?

 ... that will reach the original Sender.

 Behind a gateway ?  Tricky.  Auto-Replies go to the address in the Return-
 Path.

Hmmm.  This is an interesting misunderstanding of what I am trying to have the
document say, so the question is how to find better words.

This is intended to be about an MUA doing the "reply" command. The "reply"
command automatically formulates a Reply.  It is supposed to use From and
Reply-to.

I am not used to hearing anyone say that any sort of "reply" goes to the
return-path.  Delivery and Failure notices, sure, but not "replies".

In any event, the idea that a delivered address would not work through a
gateway sort of highlights why I characterize it as a test.

In other words, one of the goals of a gateway needs to be that it keeps
addresses usable.

At least, that was the point I was/am trying to have the document make.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking