Re: "Header Reordering", yet again

2005-05-31 13:45:04

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Smith" <paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
To: "Hector Santos" <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com>; "Frank Ellermann"
<nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de>; <ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: "Header Reordering", yet again

Is this what you are doing?  Using SPF in your VPOP3?  (Assuming VPOP3 is
some user's pop3 proxy application)

Don't get me involved ;)
It wasn't my original suggestion..

Right. I knew that. :-)

I was thinking in terms WHO could be faced with this situation?  I figued
you would be one vendor facing this and were providing some insight on how
you was addressing it. :-)  It would be after it was all send and done, at
some MUA, maybe with POP3, like the Thunderbird MUA, which I believes has
SPF checking at the MUA..

But - we do get requests for SPF support on incoming SMTP via an ISP's
server, or on incoming POP3 mail. At the moment, we're reluctant to do it
because of the problem of knowing exactly which mail server in the trace
headers was the one we should be checking. This could be handled by a
knowledgeable user telling our software which mail server(s) were the
recipients' ISPs - but knowledgeable users are few and far between in our
market (SMEs) so you need to do it automatically, or not at all..

Right.

You can't guarantee original header information will be provided by the POP3
server.  The mail could of storage in native format.

Do you know (if you explored it) if Thunderbird faces these issue?

http://www.santronics.com