Re: slow email validation problems (was reject vs bounce)

2005-09-14 06:42:33

At 13:53 14/09/2005, Hector Santos wrote:
On a related not, one point which I intentionally left out, is you or in
general, the hook writer. :-)

Of course, the devil is in the details, but if we begin down the path, it
can not become an open invitation for a "take your sweet time" server
design.   Hook writers need to optimize their hook just as well, to minimize
all delays to the utmost with the ideal goal of reaching SMTP TIMEOUT
boundaries.

Agreed, I think that's very necessary. Any server which allows hooks should probably implement its own timeout to kill the hook tasks if they take too long.

(BTW, a potential "problem" with 'formalising' a 'keep-alive' is that people will then start writing clients which detect it and, for instance, make their configured timeout act from the final '.' being sent until the last line of the reply, rather than between lines of the reply)

Paul                            VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk                      http://www.pscs.co.uk/