Re: Keep Alive Response Codes [Re: slow email validation problems (was reject vs bounce)]

2005-09-19 06:42:49

--On lørdag, september 17, 2005 01:24:07 -0400 Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com> wrote:

Today, we can probably break up the MUA into parts:

    - MAIL READER
    - MAIL WRITER
    - MAIL MANAGER
    - MAIL TRANSFER AGENT

What parts it has depends on the MUA type you are referring to.  Are you
thinking x822/x821 only?

I had not considered calling the subroutines in a MUA that call upon the socket interface to submit mail to a mail server an "MTA", whether the submission protocol was SMTP or not; I wouldn't use the term "MTA" unless it was able to accept incoming SMTP connections.

If I wanted to give that MUA component a special name ending with "agent", I'd be likely to call it a "mail submission agent".

Shows that our definitions differ....

                     Harald