Re: Keep Alive Response Codes

2005-09-15 08:32:49

Paul,

while taking a break just now I had a heretical thought. Something that's legal by the RFC, but possibly a little hacky and just a tad revolting:

C: DATA
S: 354 Go on, send me the mail
C: ...
C: .
S: 250-Virus filtering may take time, please be patient
S: 250-Virus filtering may take time, please be patient

At this point, you've started sending 250, but you haven't sent it. You have two legal options: Finish sending 250 and not finish sending it.

S: 250 OK. I accept responsibility for the message

The other option is to close the connection abruptly, and keep a note of the message so you can reject it quickly next time.

(Inspired by uw-imapd's handling of the 'SELECT' command.)

Arnt