Re: Keep Alive Response Codes [Re: slow email validation problems (was reject vs bounce)]

2005-09-16 20:29:58

--On Wednesday, 14 September, 2005 07:56 -0400 Hector Santos
<hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com> wrote:

All MUAs, including Outlook, have a MTA (SMTP client)
component.  How else will it send mail to a SMTP server or
host?

Fascinating.   Having been involved in writing an MUA or two
that did no such thing, and seen several others, I'm really
happy to hear about the "All" part.    The two other models I'm
aware of are:

        * the MUA uses some sort of API function or private
        protocol to get the message content and headers (only)
        to the MTA and the MTA constructs the envelope.  This is
        the classic story that motivates submission servers, but
        submission servers whose "incoming" side is not SMTP.

        * the MUA uses a different sort of API function or
        private protocol to queue or send out a complete
        message, with enough information capacity in those
        functions to specify the behavior of the SMTP server,
        including the envelope, queuing times/ behavior, etc.

Sigh
   john