Re: RFC2821bis-01 Issue 8 number of message transactions per connection ?

2007-03-29 06:22:26

--On Thursday, 29 March, 2007 14:49 +0200 Arnt Gulbrandsen
<arnt(_at_)oryx(_dot_)com> wrote:

John C Klensin writes:
RFC2821 specifies, as "recipients buffer" in 4.5.3.1, that a
minimum  of 100 RCPT commands must be accepted, and is quite
specific about  what happens in limits are exceeded.

I thought that applies to recipients for the same message.

MAIL FROM
RCPT TO
RCPT TO
RCPT TO
DATA

The other case is not covered AFAICT:

MAIL FROM
RCPT TO
DATA
MAIL FROM
RCPT TO
DATA

That is correct.  I had understood the earlier message to be
asking about recipients-per-message, not messages-per-connection.

However, I think the conclusion is the same: since there are no
restrictions on this now and imposing any limits (or
announcement of limits) in the client-server transaction would
require a new extension, it is probably out of scope.  I imagine
we could include some general guidance if there were
sufficiently strong consensus behind it, however.

Just my opinion.