Re: rfc2821bis-01 Issue 17: all contination lines must use same code

2007-04-10 12:32:22

Hector Santos wrote:

   Only the final or last reply-code is important in a multiline
   response. The client MUST|SHOULD use the final line as the ultimate
   server response.  It is possible for a server to use a
   preliminary reply code 150- as part of multiline response
   with a final non-continuation completion code.

I could live with that.  I can't live with someone doing something like:

    2xx-Go Ahead
    5xx Go Away

So maybe we need to say:

     Each line of a multiline response MUST start with the same reply
     code, except that initial lines MAY start with a 150- reply code
     to indicate that processing is in progress.  The client MUST
     use the code in the final line as the ultimate server response.

I really think it's important to limit the scope of different reply codes
in a multiline reply to avoid abuse.

   For example:

   354 Please Start sending....
       [ client uploads message ]
   150-Please Wait...
   150-Please Wait...
   451 Sorry, Rejected, try again later

I would add:

     Preliminary lines of a multiline response code MAY have an effect on
     a client's timeout, but a server SHOULD NOT assume they do unless it
     has a-priori knowledge of how the client handles its timeouts.

Regards,

David.