Re: rfc2821bis-01 Issue 17: all contination lines must use same code

2007-04-11 07:42:25

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Hector Santos wrote:
What you are implying is that SENDMAIL/EXIM is not FOLLOWING the continuation lines correctly, taken the first line results and ignoring all remaining all other lines in the response buffer.

I don't know about exim, but sendmail doesn't precisely ignore them. If you're wondering what processing it does on them, well, you should download the source and eyeball it: usersmtp.c, reply().

That is obvious broken CODE behavior and would be for over 25 years.

Please point to any text in RFC 821 that states that multiple *different* reply codes may be returned for a single command.

And for some reason, I beginning to doubt your claim that it will break.

I find that completely unbelieve that SENDMAIL/EXIM will error out on this type of usage:

Again, the code is out there. Looks to me like it's behaved like this for over a dozen years.

Philip Guenther