Re: rfc2821bis-01 Issue 17: all contination lines must use same code

2007-04-11 06:49:22

Tony Finch wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Hector Santos wrote:
     In many cases the sender-SMTP then simply needs to search for
     the reply code followed by <SP> at the beginning of a line, and
     ignore all preceding lines.  In a few cases, there is important
     data for the sender in the reply "text".  The sender will know
     these cases from the current context.

That is a suggestion, not normative text.

It is a technical requirement a xyz-DASH is continuation line.

Given two possible OUTCOMES:

1) single line

   250 xxxxxxxxxx

2) multiple line:

   250-xxxxxxxxxx
   250 xxxxxxxxxx

It is clearly understood that only outcome #1 is what matters most. Otherwise the system will not work because 99.99% of the time that is what clients see.

What you are implying is that SENDMAIL/EXIM is not FOLLOWING the continuation lines correctly, taken the first line results and ignoring all remaining all other lines in the response buffer.

That is obvious broken CODE behavior and would be for over 25 years.

And for some reason, I beginning to doubt your claim that it will break.

I find that completely unbelieve that SENDMAIL/EXIM will error out on this type of usage:

   S: 352
   S: 150-
   S: 250  or 45x or 55x

And it does, its broken.