Re: RFC2821bis-02 Issue 23: Definitions in Section 2.3 and "command"

2007-04-22 12:09:12

John C Klensin wrote:

Is this worth fixing?

Yes.  We need it to convert all now still pseudo-ABNF lines like

 MAIL FROM:<reverse-path> [SP <mail-parameters> ] <CRLF>

into proper ABNF like

 mail    = "MAIL FROM:" <reverse-path> [SP <mail-parameters> ] <CRLF>

after an introduction in the direction of

 command = hello / mail / rcpt / data / rset / quit ; etc.

There are 302 occurences of "command" in 286 lines (my editor
says), from that POV explaining what it is is kind of pointless.

But there are also 15 ocurences of "verb", that's less obvious.
Please insert a new section above the "reply" part (now 2.3.11).

a "yes" answer accompanied by suggested text will weigh more
heavily on the editor than a "yes" answer without text

Unrelated, for some extremely important text see also
http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html#bounces

<section title="Commands and verbs"><t>
 After an initial greeting from the server, a special case of
 a reply discussed later, clients send either commands or when
 permitted a mail object.  The server sends a reply for each
 command.  All commands begin with what's known as "verb",
 followed by additional arguments as needed for the command
 in question.
</t><t>
 The allowed commands depend on the state of the conversation.
 The allowed replies depend on the state and the command.
<!-- insert historical telnet/ftp note about this style ? -->
</t></section>

Frank
--
In any case, the SMTP adds its own identifier to the reverse-path.