Re: DoS attacks (was Re: SMTP Transferred-By-Reference)

2007-11-15 22:21:02
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:46:29 +1300, Glenn Anderson said:

I don't believe it to be a simple problem for the spammers and bot
architects to solve. Not only do they need to start keeping track of
state, they need to keep track of a lot of state (the volume of
messages they are trying to send is huge), which requires a lot more
resources, and they need to manage CPU and network resources such
that they are available for them to retry later.

Oh, hogwash.

Years ago (1995 timeframe), I was able to do a million RCPT TO's/day from a
listserv machine, using Sendmail on an IBM RS6000-250.  Little pizza box, 256M
of memory, a whole whopping 66mz 601E processor.  If spammers can't write code
tight enough to do so un-noticed on today's consumer boxes, there's something
*seriously* wrong.