Re: DoS attacks (was Re: SMTP Transferred-By-Reference)

2007-11-16 16:37:39

My opinion:

Spammers get more credit than they deserve.

The majority are small organization snake-oil sales people dealing in a very small margin/high volume business model. They don't wish to waste expense on any R&D SMTP cracking team. They use free ware, brain-dead bulk mailers, scripts engines, some of which are ironically written by career IETF participants. The better ones might get specialized bulk mailer/statistic software, but overall, their best offense is no offense - do nothing - work in legacy mode and/or compliant with the expectations.

Also, in lieu of bugs, everyone with serious server systems already has a DoS, smtp related or otherwise, loading limit and/or self-regulating controls in their software.

I see these loading-based DoS points as a non-issue.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com