Re: DoS attacks (was Re: SMTP Transferred-By-Reference)

2007-11-16 18:34:01

(off list)

--On Friday, November 16, 2007 6:16 PM -0500 Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com> wrote:

Spammers get more credit than they deserve.

The majority are small organization snake-oil sales people
dealing in a very small margin/high volume business model.
They don't wish to waste expense on any R&D SMTP cracking
team.  They use free ware, brain-dead bulk mailers, scripts
engines, some of which are ironically written by career IETF
participants.   The better ones might get specialized bulk
mailer/statistic software, but overall, their best offense is
no offense - do nothing - work in legacy mode and/or compliant
with the expectations.

Hector, based on a semi-private FBI briefing two weeks ago, the vast majority of spammers in the phishing, stock fraud, and related businesses are not amateurs or snake-oil sales people, but very sophisticated and organized criminals. One can, of course, debate the fraction of total spam the phishers and stock fraud perpetrators represent (it is a large majority of what I'm seeing these days, but I may not be normal), but the days of spamming as a completely amateur activity seem to be waning quickly.

   john